This year’s Far Westerns tournament at UC Davis on February 22-23 features 32 teams. Results from the tournament will be used for California rankings. All California players selected to the all-tournament team will be eligible for All-State honors.
The pools are:
|1. UCLA||2. UC Davis||3. UCSB||4. Santa Clara|
|16. San Jose St.||15. USC||14. UC Irvine||13. Long Beach|
|17. Arizona||18. N. Colorado||19. Nevada-Reno||20. W. Washington|
|32. USC II||31. Nevada-Reno II||30. Oregon St. II||29. San Jose St. II|
|5. San Diego St.||6. Boise St.||7. UCSD||8. Cal Poly|
|12. Oregon||11. UC Berkeley||10. Oregon St.||9. Colorado|
|21. St. Mary’s||22. SFSU||23. Sacramento St.||24. UCSB II|
|28. Colorado II||27. UC Davis II||26. Cal Poly II||25. Oregon II|
*Please note that no California representative assisted with the seeding or drafting of these pools*
If prior and recent results are any indication, there is going to be a lot of good competition this weekend:
- UCLA (California ranked #7) is the 1 seed in the tournament. The team recently dropped matches against UCSB (California ranked #2), San Diego St. (California ranked #5) and UCSD (California ranked #6). UCLA will face-off in the first match of the morning against a tough Arizona squad.
- Arizona — all the way down at the 17 seed — finished 2nd at the San Diego St. tournament earlier in the season by defeating 3 seed UCSB (California ranked #2) along with a number of other top rated teams. The team also finished ahead of 9 seed Colorado. Arizona finished 2nd in the country last year and largely returns their squad from that near championship run.
- Despite their impressive record, UC Davis (California ranked #1) is the 2 seed in their tournament. UC Davis wiped the competition on their way to winning the MLK Battle of the Bay. The team has key wins over USC (face each other again in pool play), Oregon St., San Diego St., Cal Poly (2x), and UCSB. The team only has one loss on the season.
- 3 seed UCSB (California ranked #2) finished 2nd at the MLK Battle of the Bay. The team faces UC Irvine and Nevada-Reno on day 1. UCSB previously defeated UC Irvine in league play and Nevada-Reno in pool play at the MLK Battle of the Bay.
- 5 seed San Diego St. faces a tough test with 12 seed Oregon. San Diego St. defeated Oregon at the MLK Battle of the Bay.
- Down at the 8 seed, Cal Poly (California ranked #4) recently defeated 4 seed Santa Clara (California ranked #3).
- 24 seed UCSB II (California D2 ranked #3) previously defeated 12 seed Oregon, 14 seed UC Irvine, and 21 seed St. Mary’s. The squad now faces off against 25 seed Oregon II. The two teams already faced each other at the MLK Battle of the Bay, with Oregon II earning the victory.
- 26 seed Cal Poly II (California D2 ranked #1) is undefeated in league play, and has beat four teams seeded ahead of them (Sacramento St., SFSU, St. Mary’s, and San Jose St.). Keep an eye out on Cal Poly II.
- 29 seed San Jose St. II also recently defeated 21 seed St. Mary’s, 22 seed SFSU, and 23 seed Sacramento St.
Needless to say, all teams will have to play well this weekend
Good luck to all the teams!